Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Song of Myself



I've never read the whole poem, but there is a particular passage from Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" that makes me smile and tingle and feel peaceful all at once and gives me a sense of excitement for life and for my future:

Long enough have you dream'd contemptible dreams, 
Now I wash the gum from your eyes, 
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every 
moment of your life.

Long have you timidly waded holding a plank by the shore, 
Now I will you to be a bold swimmer, 
To jump off in the midst of the sea, rise again, nod to me, shout, 
and laughingly dash with your hair.

Ahhh.  Any other favorite poems/quotes/passages? 

photo by Philippe Henry 

1 comment:

  1. One quote that evokes a similar feeling in me is "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the live you imagined!" by Henry David Thoreau.

    Just saw the link to your blog in your comment on A Cup of Jo. I think it is wonderful so far, and I will be following.

    Feel free to stop by my blog, nifermusings.blogspot.com. I'd love to see you there!

    ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete